Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This Or That?

I know that most people are going to relate to this sentiment: I don’t seem to have enough time to get everything done I need to! I feel as though I am continually behind on my to-do list. Part of the problem is that there is never an end to the to-do list, it is added to regularly. Life just keeps getting fuller.

I love my life, well most of it anyway, and a good portion of my to-do list is comprised of tasks and events I willingly engage in. I love blogging (or really any form of writing), I look forward to playing outside with my kids, I get excited to work on my book, I anticipate soccer games, I relish our weekend getaways, I enjoy helping my kids with homework or school projects, it makes me feel good to work out and of course, I’m always game for dinner time (yum!).

The problem is that these things only make up a part of my life. I also am swamped with all the items I don’t particularly like or want to do, namely cleaning. Everywhere I look there is something or someone for me to clean. Between my three children and two dogs the floor is continually a mess. Spills, stains, crumbs, dirt, toys and clothes litter the floors. They appear as if by magic! I’ll turn around from cleaning one mess only to find a newly formed one in front of me. How do they materialize so quickly? If I wanted to I could spend my entire day removing stains and clutter from my floors. It’s actually quite depressing if I think about it…. So, moving on!

My daily dilemma is that I must choose between items I want to do and items I need to do. I am not lazy nor do I procrastinate. I am organized and responsible. I don’t waste time or neglect my duties, and yet I seem to always be playing catch-up. I’m always rushed and busy and there is always another chore waiting for me.

I long to write my book and work on my business but being a stay at home mom means that my children come first, therefore when they need me (which is constantly) I must put my wants (namely my writing and my business) on hold and care for them. Finding the available time for me, for what I want to accomplish poses a real challenge. When the kids are in bed for the night and I am finally granted uninterrupted time my body is exhausted and my brain is completely fried rendering it almost useless. This makes it difficult to successfully accomplish anything. So then my dilemma becomes, do I trudge through and try to get some of my work done anyway or do I sit and let my body rest?

I think the answer is I just need more time, just a few more hours each day. Or no, maybe a housekeeper is the best solution. Then again a part time nanny would be nice…. Hmm, another dilemma.

(BTW, I had to stop and help out my kids 9 times while writing this!)

1 comment:

  1. I am slowly realizing this in my house right now! Even though he's only 3 months, his things appear everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete