Thursday, March 24, 2011

Not A Laughing Matter (well it kind of is)

What do you do when as a parent you see your own inappropriate behavior displayed in your children?

My middle child has recently developed the habit of laughing when he’s being disciplined. He is not trying to be disrespectful, this is just the response discipline is currently triggering in him. How do I know this? Because I used to do the very same thing! As a child, even in to my teenage years I would burst into giggles at the most inopportune moments. I never meant it as disrespect, but certain instances would ignite laughter nearly impossible to hold back. For instance, the time I was singing a duet in church (there were a few years way back when I thought I could sing) and totally sang the wrong part. Instead of continuing despite the slight mishap like most people would do, I began to giggle and proceeded to sing/laugh for the remainder of the number. Or one of the many times in school I was caught talking when I should have been listening. If the teacher called me on it I my shoulders would start shaking and the laughter would well up inside me.

I do not know why this happened. I never intended it as rudeness. I didn’t intend for it at all, it just spontaneously erupted. It wasn’t my typical response to embarrassment or scolding but it occurred often enough to present a problem. I did my best to will myself to stop but I rarely succeeded.

Now my son who is 4 (days away from turning 5!) is following in my footsteps. I see it in his face. I know he’s doing his best to gain control and listen intently to my words, but the chuckles are a mighty force to be reckoned with. I understand this entirely so even though I get annoyed since it seems as though he’s being outright defiant, I overlook the shaking shoulders and stifled giggles and focus solely on the incident or behavior I am addressing. Of course when I‘m done doing my parental duty I tell him to stop laughing, but I know he physically can’t.

The worst part about all of this is that every time he starts laughing I want to laugh too! Being a grown adult and a seasoned parent I am able to control myself and maintain my composure, but man is it hard! I am so tempted to join in! It literally takes all of my well groomed willpower to deny myself the urge to laugh. The corners of my mouth twitch in protest. I’ve even had to look away for fear of caving.

How can I instruct my child on more appropriate responses when he’s being guided or disciplined when I can’t even do it myself? I guess some reflexes are so ingrained in us they continue to require conscious efforts to master even after years of work. I don’t know…. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love Tanna's laugh? It's contagious, it's happiness in a sound, and it is easy to get a laugh out of you, Tanna. I love that your laugh is genetic! Sorry, this wasn't a helpful comment for your "problem," but things could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina! I know, I do laugh easily. It is strange and endearing to see what part of your own personality is also a part of your children's personality. I see different parts of me in all 3 kids. Fun and strange both! :)

    ReplyDelete